Monday, July 13, 2009

Post #11 - BUGS!


About two inches of rain fell yesterday and last night - more rain than this place has seen in around 6 weeks. Now the land is overrun with insects. Holy shit, they are everywhere!

Most noticeable are the June bugs. They were loudly buzzing all over the place today. They fly right into you as you walk around. You could hear them pinging off the tin roof of the porch.

Right now, the window screen in front of me is covered with dozens of little brown beetles that are attracted to the light.

The most impressive bug I saw today has yet to be identified. I've never seen one like it before. It was three inches long, not including the antennae. It was about the size of my index finger. It kinda looked like a shrimp with really long legs. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell it was. None of my usual bug identification websites are of any help.

I'd post a picture of it but my laptop is currently out of commission. The power cord died and I have to get a new one. Until then, I'm back to using the ancient turn of the century machine that runs Windows 98. So no photos for a few days but at least I still have internet access.

No comments: