Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Can this be called progress?


I was talking with one of the locals about the upcoming election for sheriff. The current sheriff is retiring and at least four people are running for his job.


One is "Johnny Law" - mentioned in an earlier post, Spenardo & Chickenfight Girl get Strip Searched Part Two (yeah, I know, I still owe you parts three and four). The local and I both agreed that Johnny Law is a prick and we'd never vote for him in a million years.

Another guy seems to be running on a "throw more druggies in jail" platform. The moldy old jail is already overcrowded and throwing more potheads in there ain't gonna do anything but funnel more funds into the courthouse coffers (and that worthless re-education camp they call the Alabama Court Referral Program).

I didn't know anything about the third guy but the local assured me he was a prick too.

That left one guy. I'd already decided that he was who I was voting for. I'd dealt with him a number of times during my community service and he seemed like a decent person - one of the very few I met during that experience that seemed capable of treating people fairly. I told the local that my mind was made up - I was voting for that guy.

The local replied "That's who I'm voting for too. Even if he is a nigger."

Sigh...

2 comments:

Fred said...

Just imagine what the south that I grew up in was like!

I wondered what happened to parts 3 and 4! I'm glad I didn't miss them although I'm gonna have to go back to the archives to refresh my memory!

Anonymous said...

Can this be called progress? YES